The Civil Society Immunization Platform (CSIP)
In early 2013, the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization (GAVI), in partnership with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) as fund manager, has selected MACIS to implement the Civil Society Strengthening Project 2013-14. The project complements Uganda's National Expanded Program on Immunization (UNEPI) and aims at maximizing the impact of UNEPI by building a functional civil society platform capable of engaging in decision making processes at different levels on health systems strengthening and immunization policies.
Under the Civil Society Immunization Platform (CSIP), MACIS brings together Civil Society Organsiations (CSOs) involved in immunization activities across Uganda to facilitate the exchange of ideas, experiences and solutions to improve immunization coverage in Uganda and raise one voice at senior decision making forums like HPAC, NCC, ISS and HSS. The platform will be governed by a structure of District Immunization Champions (DIC) and a Technical Advisory Group (TAG) and supported in its work by the MACIS Secretariat. The outcomes of the GAVI Civil Society Strengthening Project will see:
- CSOs involved in decision making in health and immunization policies
- CSOs take an active and sustainable role in UNEPI, ensuring coordination between the national policy and the district-level implementation
- CSOs involved in analysis and reporting on immunization progress and challenges in Uganda
- CSOs mobilize and sensitise communities on immunization
- CSOs participate in joint supervisory visits with districts and Ministry of Health staff.